Imposing Hobart Hall is set on the banks of the River Thames, close to Richmond Bridge. Connoisseurs of antiquity and those in search of peaceful surroundings will find their needs fulfilled.
Located on a stretch of the Thames renowned for its outstanding beauty, the hotel offers its patrons a unique combination of luxury and history.
Wireless internet access is available in the lounge area.
Please note that there is no lift at the hotel.
Connoisseurs of antiquity, and gentlefolk craving for peaceful surroundings, will find their needs are fulfilled at the imposing Hobart Hall Guest House (circa 1690 with 1752 additions). Set on the banks of thr River Thames, close to Richmond Bridge, on a stretch of Thames renowned for its outstanding beauty, the hotel offers its patrons a unique combination of luxury and history. Our gardens take you down to the Thames embankment where pleasure craft can take you to many places of historical interest, including the ancient coronation town of Kingston, Hampton Court Palace and the famour Teddington Locks. There are many beautiful walks along the river, such as to the enchanting village of Petersham across the meadows, or a little further along to Ham Common with its entrance to Richmond Royal park and it herds of roaming deer.
Despite the fact that little now remains of the Royal Palace, frequented and lived in by many members of the Royal family and nobility up to the 17th century, Richmond is still steeped in its Royal history with many of the fine stately homes in use and visited by the public.
Hobart Hall was by contemporary standards one of the smaller houses, but nevertheless has many interesting associations with that period. Past tenants of Hobart Hall, who often referred to it as the House by the River, included the Countess of Buckinghamshire who, after the death of her husband, the Earl of Buckinghamshire, moved from her home at Blickling Hall in Norfolk to Hobart Hall in order to be near her sister-in-law, the Countess of Suffolk who was living nearby at Marble Hill.
Her successor at Hobart Hall was her second son, the Honourable Henry Hobart who has been its longets tenant. Apart from playing a major role in local ecclesiastical and civil affairs, he was responsible for the commissioning of the Richmond Bridge and laid its foundation stone in 1774. The Bridge was opened to pedestrians and horse traffic in 1777. During his period of residence, and through his courtsey, the Duke of Clarence (King William IV) resided at the Hall untill he moved to Petersham Lodge in 1790.
Other places of historical interest are:
Asgill House, Old Palace Lane
Chiswick House, Burlington Lane, Chiswick
Ham House in Petersham - Home of the Lauderdale family
Orleans House, Riverside, Twickenham
Pembroke Lodge, Richmond Park
Syon House, Isleworth
White Lodge, Richmond Park
Hogarth House, Chiswick Village.
Hobart Hall has been an hotel since 1925 and has recently undergone extensive restoration work and refurbishment. In 1984 the West Wing was completely renovated and modernised to provide eighteen luxury rooms. All rooms have private bath, colour television, telephone, tea/coffee making facilities, a trouser press and are centrally heated throughout. Many have panoramic views over the Thames. There is a self-service laundry, ironing facilities and hair dryers are available on request.
Other parts of the Hotel include a Drawing Room for the use of residents, complete with log fires during the winter months, and a fine reception room where Duke of Clarence entertained many of the nobility has been made into a Functions Room which can be hired for Meetings, Conferences and Private Parties. A new linking terraced Restaurant specialises in good international cuisine.
Richmond also offers a variety of other pastimes and sporting activities, almost on the doorstep of the Hobart Hall. Among the more popular of these are:
The lovely Victorian Theatre on Richmond Green and the Orange Tree Theatre by the station with pre-West End runs.
The Botanical Gardens at Kew, a favourite haunt of the late Queen Mary.
Polo Matches in the grounds of Ham House.
The Thames Television studios at Teddington where the public can witness live performances.
Famous Golf Courses.
Horse Riding is available at Richmond Park.
The Old Deer park Sport Club offers Rugby, Tennis, Cricket, Squash, Archery, Bowls and Swimming.
All this, together with a fine shopping centre with its antique lanes, make Richmond the most sought after village in London.
Directions to Hobart Hall Guest House Richmond
Take underground tube or train to Richmond Station then bus 65. Bus stops outside. Hotel is on the A307, it is 200 yards from Richmond Bridge overlooking the Thames.
|richmond hotel,hotel,richmond,accommodation,richmond park,richmond park hotel,petersham road,hotel petersham road,hobart guest house|